Immediate Postpartum Period
Immediate Postpartum Period Breastfeeding Tips:
- No matter what type of birth you experience, immediately place baby skin-to-skin on your chest
- Cover baby to prevent heat loss, but remain skin to skin to facilitate the mother-baby natural temperature regulation system
- Skin-to-skin babies will usually find the breast and begin nursing within 30 minutes after birth
- Avoid any mother-baby separation; enjoy full rooming-in, if in hospital
- If medical issues prevent baby from being placed immediately on your skin, send partner to stay with baby until he/she can be brought to mother
- Partner can perform skin-to-skin if mother is unable.